Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Farewell VHS, My Old Friend

Somehow I missed it...I don't know how it happened, but it did and I completely missed it. VHS tapes and camcorders disappeared off the face of the earth and I was sleeping when it happened. I never realized...and no one told me. Until yesterday, that is.

We own four camcorders here at the office...a beastly VHS camcorder, a smaller cousin VHS-C camcorder, a High-8 camcorder and the new MicroMV camcorder. While all are nice in their own way, only the VHS has the external hookups we use for microphones. And only the VHS can handle a good 4 hour deposition without breaks. But, this is an old camcorder...probably at least 8 years old, so I wasn't the least bit surprised when I heard it was on its deathbed.

Naturally, it is the favorite camera of everyone here...the workhorse. Some of the others are fancier and look better...they might take pictures or hook right up to your computer, but only the VHS gives you what you really want: a simple tape that I can play in a VCR and I know it's going to work.

So, what do you do when something breaks? Buy a new one, of course! (If you said "fix it", you're wrong). So, I began looking for a new VHS camcorder. Circuit City...they do not have a simple VHS camcorder...how strange. Best Buy? No. How about the Sony site? No. Panasonic? JVC? NOOOOO!!! E-Bay had some...but that's downright scary sometimes. Matter of fact, I found the exact same camera we own for $37.00. But, we decided we needed warranties, etc.

Believe it or not, the purchasing agent had to find a web-site the specialized in this old stuff...at
http://www.vhsequipment.com. Almost $1000.00 to buy an old VHS camcorder. Unbelievable. But, like I said, I don't know when VHS disappeared. I must have been watching a DVD or something...because, man, they're gone. So, if you're still relying on that old VHS camcorder, beware...you're one of the last doing so.

No comments: