Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Night at the Old Ballgame

Headed up Pittsburgh way last evening to check out the 2008 edition of the Pittsburgh Pirates. And, believe it or not, they won the game. By sweeping the Reds on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the Pirates are at .500 a full 12-games into the season. I'm not sure that sets any records but that's not bad considering it is, you know, the Pirates. And the Pirates have, to put it nicely, struggled in recent years. Matter of fact, if the Bucs are not able to put together a winning season this year, they will tie the Philadelphia Phillies for the longest streak of losing seasons in Major League Baseball at 16. Not a record you really want to tie or surpass.

Anyway, I digress. Other than the cold weather, the game was entertaining. The heart attack special at Primanti's was excellent, as always. Despite the fact I forgot the tickets in the car and we had to make a quick trek back there, we actually made it to the game still in the first inning. I also had to stop and give money to a few street beggars. Just can't help it. We missed the top of the 1st but that was because of a sweatshirt purchase due to the cold weather that prevailed Saturday evening.

The crowd was small (18,000+) and not all that enthusiastic. One gentleman behind us was pretty adamant about how the Pirates should handle every situation and he wasn't overly pleased when they didn't follow his advice. Despite all this, the Pirates eeked out a 4-3 win over the Reds. No homeruns...nothing overly spectacular. Ken Griffey, Jr. did make a pretty impressive catch that I thought broke him but he continued on through the pain. Overall, a decent evening.

I have not written about nor do I intend to discuss the NCAA tournament from this point forward. Let me just say things didn't work out the way I had hoped and we can just leave it at that. Seriously...I don't want to talk about it.

Lastly, I will try to update. I think we have a system now at work that will allow this deployment to proceed in a fashion that won't require me to live at work. I've essentially taken over the deployment process for our office which means I can handle it however I want and I believe I can knock out machines at a good enough pace to allow a little free time. And that would include a few minutes to write something here. Maybe. We'll see how it goes Monday...

No comments: