Wednesday, July 23, 2008

RIP Sophia Pitrillo

Estelle Getty passed away on Wednesday, July 22nd. Getty is best known for playing Sophia Pitrillo on the Golden Girls. I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a risk by admitting fully that I watched the Golden Girls. I watched it when they were on the air originally and I watched the reruns over and over again on Lifetime. And I enjoyed the Golden Girls.

The show was very funny and very well-written. And, by today's standards, very clean. Sure, there was some promiscuity by Blanche, played by Rue McClanahan, but that's about as bad as it got. The show won numerous awards over the years, including 11 Emmys in their 7 seasons. Not too shabby. It was a heckuva show really. And I just found out that Getty was actually younger than Bea Arthur. That's pretty amazing.

Anyway, Getty was also in Tootsie and Mannequin and she unfortunately co-starred with Sylvester Stallone in Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot. Bad, bad movie. Thankfully, Getty will always be remembered as Sophia Pitrollo and not for playing Sylvester's mother. So, I leave you with a Golden Girls clip:


No comments: