Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tis the Season

Beginning on Thanksgiving Day, some radio stations insist that they must play Christmas music non-stop. Others are a little more forgiving and wait until the day before Christmas to begin the onslaught of yuletide greetings. I'm usually burnt out on Christmas tunes in about 3-days. But there are a few that just absolutely boil my blood. Here goes:

7. Santa Baby by Madonna - Talk about taking Santa in a bad direction. A lusty Santa is about the last thing I want to think about during the holiday season. And, considering Madonna is now a student of Kabbalah, this song should be banned.

6. Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon - Won't be a popular pick to put on this list but I really can't stand this song. The Lennon version is somewhat acceptable but all the covers are extremely bad. Well, come to think of it, the Lennon version is bad too. It's depressing and way below Lennon's standards.

5. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town by Bruce Springsteen - Can you say overplayed? I can think of better things to listen to than The Boss belting out this Christmas classic. I turn the station every time it comes on.

4. The Twelve Days of Christmas by Way Too Many People - Yes, it is a classic. But it lasts for 12-days. It goes on and on and on. You have to listen to the phrase "and a partridge in a pear tree" 12 times. And who gives that as a gift anyway?

3. Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid - I know it's Christmas because I have to listen to this song. Sure, it was for charity. 20+ years ago. Now it's an accepted Christmas carol? Horrible.

2. Christmas Shoes by Newsong - This song has been accepted as a Christmas classic way too quickly. Another depressing song and one that has been blown way out of proportion. They made a movie about it. Kid wants to buy shoes for his dying mother and a stranger helps him. Nice story but, geesh, this isn't what I want to hear on Christmas. Another song that immediately makes me turn the station.

1. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by Gayla Peevey - Gayla Peevey was only 10-years old when she recorded this travesty. Had she been older, I would have demanded that a "crimes against humanity" charge be brought against her. It's not funny and the voice is enough to drive a person insane. It is my least favorite Christmas song of all time.

There's more I'm sure. There are lots of bad Christmas songs that receive airplay because radio stations are desparately trying to fill air time. But can't we do something about these 7 this year to get them removed from the air completely? And, after that's done, I'll start on the next list. Trust me, it's a lot longer...

1 comment:

Neal Watzman said...

I couldn't agree with you more about most of the Christmas songs out there. Hear them once, that's enough for me for years.

I do disagree with you about John Lennon's "So This is Christmas." I do enjoy hearing that one. Back in the 1970's when it was written (during the Vietnam war), we needed more messages such as the one in his words.

The song still has a good message.