Sunday, May 11, 2008

Helping the West Virginia Stereotype

“I heard that Obama is a Muslim and his wife’s an atheist,” said Mr Simpson, drawing on a cigarette outside the fire station in Williamson, a coalmining town of 3,400 people surrounded by lush wooded hillsides."

That's from a recent article in the Financial Times. Boy, doesn't that look nice. The last paragraph might actually be better:

Josh Fry, a 24-year-old ambulance driver from Williamson, insisted he was not racist but said he would feel more comfortable with Mr McCain, the 71-year-old Vietnam war hero, in the White House. “I want someone who is a full-blooded American as president,” he said.

It's pretty sad really. I'm sure that these are real quotes from real West Virginians but I can guarantee that you could travel to any state in this union and find people who will give you similar quotes. But media-types seek out people who will further the opinion that West Virginia folks are backwood hillbillies. I doublt Mr. Fry was attempting to say that Obama wasn't an American because he was black but that's the way it comes across. And Mr. Simpson's ignorance is just that...I'm sure they could have found better articulated people in Williamson that had real reasons to vote against Obama but it's more fun to try to show West Virginians as ignorant rather than knowledeable.

Anyway, election day tomorrow in West Virginia. Hillary will win by 20-30 points. I was in Martinsburg on Sunday and almost attended a small Obama rally just for the fun of it (and the television crew was on the way) but had to get back to Morgantown. If anyone is interested, I do have 2 Obama for President signs that I will gladly give you.

The biggest thing on the ballot tomorrow in my opinion is the Marion County Bond Proposal. I will once again encourage everyone to vote for the bond. There's no better investment than in the future and, quite frankly, education is the future. It would help the county immensely to get a new middle school for East Fairmont and there are repairs that need to be made for the other schools. But, in all honesty, I think the bond may be overreaching and I will be shocked if it passes. Very, very shocked.

Lastly, I think I'm taking the day off work for Election Day...so, just throwing that out there. I know you care...

No comments: