Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Collective Yawn

Being the bonafide sports junkie I am, it was really sad that I completely forgot that the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship was last night. I realized it was on when I checked ESPN before going to bed...and I tuned in just as the second half was about to begin. Apparently, I didn't miss much. Florida dominated the overmatched Bruins and that was that. But did anyone care? I mean, the hype wasn't nearly as dramatic as it usually is. Theories...

1) ESPN didn't overly hype the game because, well, ESPN didn't care. They are more concerned in trying to get more than 3 people to tune in tonight for the women's championship. Good luck in that.

2) Florida. UCLA. Doesn't quite have the pulling power of UNC or Duke...or a bunch of other teams for that matter. UCLA had its heyday back in the '70s. Florida is a football school. Howland and Donovan? Boring.

3) Baseball. It was opening day for baseball. The Yankees were killing the A's on ESPN2. Barry Bonds was busy having syringes thrown at him. Who wants to watch Florida blow UCLA out of the water when they can watch this stuff?

I'm anxious to see the ratings for the game because I'm guessing it was down. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe other people cared more than me but I don't think so. I'm willing to entertain other points though...oh, and congrats to Florida. Maybe they'll get over that Spurrier thing now.

Well, back to the grind...

No comments: